100+ reasons to be Grateful
100+ reasons to be grateful, your path to joy, wisdom and courage
100+ Reasons to Be Grateful - Build Your Resilience and Find Love, Joy and Peace
When I start one-on-one coaching with a new student, I often complete an inventory of my student's strengths based on questionnaires and their life-story essays. Yep - the students have to complete a lot of home-work - we use the euphemism "Home-Fun" LoL! We find that gratitude is often a dominant strength for many of my students. These students leverage gratitude daily to feel love, joy and peace and build resilience.
I attended an amazing online meditation session this weekend run by my friend Subba. He is based in Singapore and has a lovely yoga resort in Bali. At the start of the meditation session, Subba suggested that we write 100+ reasons to feel grateful. He said the opposite way is very easy. Given the negative bias of the mind, it would be very easy for 100+ things that we can complain about. Subba suggested that we turn that around.
1. I have laundry to do . . . I am grateful that I have clothes to wear
2. My house is cluttered with junk . . . I am grateful to have a roof over my head
3. I have a bad boss . . . I am grateful for a job that pays the bills
You get the drift. Now, Subba and I are not suggesting we live in a la-la land but often we are so busy complaining about life and we miss the wonder, joy and wisdom that comes along with the state of gratitude. I decided to try his gratitude exercise and I got stuck after the first five minutes. I persisted and bingo. I broke the hundred reasons into blocks of ten.
1. Ten people I am grateful for - wow! I could easily write 20+ people I am grateful for - including my dear friend Subba whom I have known for 30+ years
2 Ten magical places I have visited - Jerusalem, Cape Town . . . the list is quite endless
3. Ten books that have changed my life including Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
4. Ten Foods that I like the most - I didn't stop with 10 - LoL
5 Ten Songs/Music pieces that I enjoy again and again including the Happy Song
6. Ten body parts that I am grateful - eyes, ears, tongue . . . you know where I am going with this
7. Ten skills that I have and made my life better for myself and others - including meditation and public speaking
8. Ten movies that I watch again and again - including Shawshank Redemption
9. Ten Activities that bring me pleasure including hiking, dancing, swimming,
10. Ten Pieces of Art that bring me joy - including photos of Space by the Hubble Telescope.
11. Ten coincidences or chance happenings that transformed my life - Ah! so many people just came into my life at the right time, teaching opportunities, jobs . . . the list is endless.
I have been doing this exercise for the past three days - just looking at the categories fills my heart with love and joy. I encourage you to try this just for a week. I am sure you have ten categories of your own. Try it and send me a note or add a comment below!
Want to know more about my friend Subba? Check out his youtube channel and his website.
If you want scientific information and more details on how you can cultivate gratitude in your life, check out this earlier blog article of mine
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
a guided finger meditation
Engage your senses with soothing music, guided imagery and a labyrinth tracing activity which leverages the power of touch. Click the album cover to learn more.